Total Cost of Care and Episodes of Care Payment Models: Can They Co-Exist?
Remedy Partners Value-Based Care Webinar Series, 2019
Bundled Payments: Learning in Action Series, American Hospital Association, 2019
MACRA 2019: Understanding QPP and MIPS in the Changing Landscape of Physician Incentives and Payments
Annual Meeting, Society of General Internal Medicine, 2019
Impact on high-cost healthcare utilization due to changes in Patient-Centered Medical Home implementation 2012 to 2015
Society of General Internal Medicine 2018, VA HSRD Cyberseminar 2018
Physician Perspectives in Year 1 of MACRA and its Merit-Based Payment System: A National Survey
Annual Research Meeting, AcademyHealth, 2018
Care Transitions: Policy, Evidence, and Emerging Roles in Primary Care
Goodson Lecture, University of Missouri Kansas City School of Medicine, 2018
The Impact of Voluntary Bundled Payment on Selection for Joint Replacement Surgery Among Socioeconomically Vulnerable Patients
Annual Research Meeting, AcademyHealth, 2018
How Can Practice Transformation Activities for Bundled Payments be Align and Coordinated with Other Value-Based Payment Programs?
Moving Forward with Bundled Payments Forum, 2018
The Future of Bundled Payments
Advanced Payment Summit, Cleveland Clinic, 2018
The Role of Health Information Technology in the Evolution of Public Reporting
AHRQ-sponsored National Summit on Public Reporting for Consumers, Washington, DC, 2011
- Chen A, Goodson, J. MACRA and the Quality Payment Program: A Call to Action. Society of General Internal Medicine Forum. 2019.
- Liao JM. Accountability for Outcomes in Payment Programs: Going Beyond Better Measures. Annals of Internal Medicine Fresh Look. 2019.
- Navathe AS, Dinh CT, Chen A, Liao JM. Findings and Implications from MIPS Year 1 Performance Data. Health Affairs Blog. 2019.
- Liao JM, Chen A, Dinh CT, Navathe AS. Supporting Small Practices in MIPS. Health Affairs Blog. 2019.
- Liao JM. Measuring what matters in bundled payments: more strategies and a focus on equity needed. Annals of Internal Medicine Fresh Look. 2019.
- Liao JM, Chen A, Navathe AS. The Real Opportunities of MIPS Payment Adjustments. Health Affairs Blog. 2018.
- Liao JM, Navathe AS. Implications of MIPS Scoring on Clinician Engagement in Value-Based Payments. Health Affairs Blog. 2018.
- Navathe AS, Liao JM. MIPS APMs in the Quality Payment Program. Health Affairs Blog. 2018.
- Navathe AS, Huang J, Shan E, Liao JM. Early Participants and Focus Areas in BPCI-Advanced. Health Affairs Blog. 2018.
- Liao JM, Dykstra SE, Werner RM, Navathe AS. BPCI-Advanced Will Further Emphasize the Need to Address Overlap between Bundled Payments and Accountable Care Organizations. Health Affair Blog. 2018.
- Navathe AS, Shan E, Liao JM. What Have We Learned about Bundling Medical Conditions? Health Affair Blog. 2018.
- Liao JM. What We Can Learn When Value-Based Concepts Meet. Annals of Internal Medicine Fresh Look. 2018.
- Liao JM. Getting What We Pay for in Pay-for-Performance Programs. Annals of Internal Medicine Fresh Look. 2018.
- Navathe AS, Anastos-Wallen RE, Emanuel EJ, Liao JM. What’s in a Name: Will BPCI-Advanced Hold Back or Advance Bundled Payment Policy? Health Affair Blog. 2018.
- Liao JM. Setting goals to improve quality under MIPS. American College of Physicians Internist. 2017.
- Liao JM, Pauly MV. Orphan Drugs: Pursuing Value and Avoiding Unintended Effects of Regulations. Health Affairs Blog. 2017.
- Navathe AS, Whittington G, Liao JM, Bajner R. A Value-based Endorsement of Bundled Payments. Modern Healthcare. 2017.
- Liao JM, Chaiyachati KH. Beyond Adjustments for Socioeconomic Status in Hospital Readmissions Policies. Harvard Public Health Review. 2016.
- Liao JM. To Improve health care value, we need to know what we are paying for. Health Cents, Philadelphia Inquirer. 2016.
- Liao JM. Who We Talk About When We Talk About Value. Policy $ense, Leonard Davis Institute of Health Economics. 2016.
- Liao JM. Benefits of clearly defining value in patient care. American College of Physicians Internist. 2015.
- Marcotte L, Baron R. Shifting Motivations: Rethinking Primary Care Physician Incentives In Health IT Implementation. Health Affairs Blog. 2014.
- Liao JM, Chen C. Getting “Bundle Ready”: Designing Clinical Pathways in the Context of Bundled Payments. J Clin Path. 2019; 5(10):49-51.
- Liao JM, Sommers BD, Navathe AS. Why Medicaid Needs Its Own Path to Value-Based Reforms. N Engl J Med. 2018; 379:105-108.
- Liao JM, Shea JA, Weissman A, Navathe AS. Physician Perspectives in Year 1 of MACRA and its Merit-Based Payment System: A National Survey. Health Affairs. 2018; 37(7): 1079-1086.
- Liao JM, Navathe AS. Following the Letters of the Law? Nudging Physicians to Reduce Quetiapine Prescribing using Medicare Letters. JAMA Psychiatry. 2018; 75(10):989-900.
- Liao JM, Basu A, Lee CI. The Value of Imaging-Based Cancer Screening Episodes. JGIM. 2018; 75(10):989-990.
- Liao JM, Chu D, Navathe AS. Succeeding in New Cardiac Bundles: Lessons from History, Directions for the Future. Ann Surg. 2018; 268(6):938-939.
- Navathe AS, Liao JM, Polsky D, Shah Y, Huang E, Zhu J, Lyon Z, Wang R, Rolnick J, Martinez J, Emanuel EJ. Comparison of Hospitals Participating In Medicare’s Voluntary And Mandatory Orthopedic Bundle Programs. Health Affairs. 2018; 37(6): 854-863.
- Liao JM, Navathe AS, Schapira MS, Weissman A, Mitra N, Asch DA. Penalizing Physicians for Low Value Care in Hospital Medicine: A Randomized Survey. J Hosp Med. 2018; 13(1):41-44.
- Liao JM, Navathe AS, Schapira MS, Weissman A, Mitra N, Asch DA. When Reducing Low Value Care in Hospital Medicine Saves Money, Who Benefits? J Hosp Med. 2018; 13(1):45-48.
- Liao JM, Hodlofski A, Moore R, Navathe AS. Partnership HealthPlan of California: Stemming the Tide of Opioid Overuse with Behavioral Design Principles. Healthc (Amst). 2018;6(1):95-98.
- Liao JM, Navathe AS, Chu D. Reframing the Value Proposition of Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Bundles. JAMA Surg. 2018; 153(3):199-200.
- Liao JM, Emanuel EJ, Whittington GL, Small DS, Troxel AB, Zhu J, Zhong W, Navathe AS. Physician Practice Variation Under Orthopedic Bundled Payment. Am J Manag Care. 2018;24(6):300-306.
- Liao JM, Navathe AS, Press MJ. Is the Hospital of the Future at Home? JAMA Intern Med. 2018. doi:10.1001/jamainternmed.2018.2566.
- Liao JM, Konetzka RT, Werner RM. Trends in Hospital-SNF Relationships in the Care of Medicare Beneficiaries. Healthcare. 2018; 6(3):175-179.
- Navathe AS, Liao JM, Emanuel EJ. Volume Increases and Shared Decision Making in Joint Replacement Bundles. Ann Surg. 2018; 267(1): 35-36.
- Navathe AS, Liao JM, Shah Y, Lyon Z, Chatterjee P, Polsky D, Emanuel EJ. Characteristics of hospitals earning savings in the first year of mandatory bundled payment for hip and knee surgery. JAMA. 2018; 319(9): 930-932.
- Reddy A, Wong ES, Canamucio A, Nelson KM, Fihn SD, Yoon J, Werner RM (2018). Association between continuity and team-based care and healthcare utilization: An observational study of Medicare-eligible Veterans in VA Patient Aligned Care Team. Health services research. 2018;53:5159-80.
- Liao GJ, Liao JM, Lalevic D, Cook TS, Zafar HM. Time to Talk: Can Radiologists Improve Follow Up of Abdominal Imaging Findings Indeterminate for Malignancy by Initiating Verbal Communication? J Am Coll Radiol. 2018; 15(11):1627-1632.
- Hebert PL, Batten AS, Gunnink E, Reddy A, Wong ES, Fihn SD, Liu CF. Reliance on Medicare Providers by Veterans after Becoming Age‐Eligible for Medicare is Associated with the Use of More Outpatient Services. Health services research. 2018;53:5159-80.
- Liao GJ, Liao JM, Cook TS. Geographic Patterns of Radiology Referrals in the US: A Descriptive Network Analysis. J Am Coll Radiol. 2018; 15(6):827-833.
- Liao JM, Hodlofski A, Whittington G, Zucker M, Viroslav S, Fox DL, Navathe AS. Baptist Health System: Succeeding in Bundled Payments through Behavioral Principles. Healthcare (Amst). 2017; 5(3):136-140.
- Liao JM, Schapira MM, Navathe AS, Mitra N, Weissman A, Asch DA. The effect of emphasizing patient, societal, and institutional harms of inappropriate antibiotic prescribing on physician support of financial penalties: A randomized trial. Ann Intern Med. 2017; 167(3): 215-216.
- Liao JM, Ommerborn MJ, Clark CR. Association between features of patient-provider discussions and routine prostate-specific antigen testing. PLoS One. 2017; 12(5): e0177687.
- Zivin K, Miller BF, Finke B, Bitton A, Payne P, Stowe EC, Reddy A, Day TJ, Lapin P, Jin JL, Sessums LL. Behavioral Health and the Comprehensive Primary Care (CPC) Initiative: findings from the 2014 CPC behavioral health survey. BMC health services research. 2017;17(1):612.
- Liao JM, Fischer MA. Restrictions of Hepatitis C Treatment for Substance-Using Medicaid Patients: Cost vs Ethics. Am J Public Health. 2017. 107(6): 893-899.
- McKenney, J. Chen, A, Hoover, K, Kelly, J, Dowdy, D, Sharifi, P, Sullivan, P, Rosenberg, E. Optimal Costs of HIV pre- exposure prophylaxis for men who have sex with men. PLOS One, 2017;12(6):e0178170
- Navathe AS, Troxel AB, Liao JM, Nan N, Zhu J, Zhong W, Emanuel EJ. Costs of Joint Replacement Using Bundled Payment Models. JAMA Intern Med. 2017; 177(2):214-222.
- Reddy A, Sessums L, Gupta R, Jin J, Day T, Finke B, Bitton A. (2017). Risk Stratification Methods and Provision of Care Management Services in Comprehensive Primary Care Initiative Practices. The Annals of Family Medicine, 15(5), 451-454.
- Liao JM, Fleisher LA, Navathe AS. Increasing the Value of Social Comparisons of Physician Performance Using Norms. JAMA. 2016; 316(11):1151-1152.
- Peacock, S., Reddy, A., Leveille, S. G., Walker, J., Payne, T. H., Oster, N. V., & Elmore, J. G. (2016). Patient portals and personal health information online: perception, access, and use by US adults. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, ocw095.
- Marcotte L, Hodlofski A, Bond A, Patel P, Sacks L, Navathe A. Into Practice: How Advocate Health System uses behavioral economics to motivate physicians in its incentive program. HealthCare: Journal of Delivery Science and Innovation. 2016.
- Liao JM, Emanuel EJ, Navathe AS. Six Trends that will Reshape the Patient Provider Dynamic. Healthcare (Amst). 2016; 4(3):148-150.
- Reddy A, Huseman TL, Canamucio A, Marcus SC, Asch DA, Volpp K, Long JA. (2016). Patient and Partner Feedback Reports to Improve Statin Medication Adherence: A Randomized Control Trial. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 1-6.
- Liao JM, Navathe AS. Money, Motivation, and Uncertainty in Paying for Performance. Lancet. 2016; 387(10022):936-937.
- Khullar, D., Chokshi, D. A., Kocher, R., Reddy, A., Basu, K., Conway, P. H., & Rajkumar, R. (2015). Behavioral Economics and Physician Compensation—Promise and Challenges. New England Journal of Medicine, 372(24), 2281-2283.
- Liao JM, Fischer MA. Early Trends in Sofosbuvir Utilization by State Medicaid Programs. N Engl J Med. 2015;373(13):1279-1281.
- Reddy A, Pollack CE, Asch DA, Canamucio A, Werner RM. (2015). The Effect of Primary Care Provider Turnover on Patient Experience of Care and Ambulatory Quality of Care. JAMA internal medicine.
- Choudhry NK, Liao JM, Detsky AS. Selecting a Specialist: Adding Evidence to the Clinical Practice of Making Referrals. JAMA. 2014. 312(18):1861-1862.
- Reddy A, Shea JA, Canamucio A, Werner RM. (2014). The Effect of Organizational Climate on Patient-Centered Medical Home Implementation. American Journal of Medical Quality, 1062860614532516.
- Chen, A, Dowdy, D. Clinical Effectiveness and Cost-Effectiveness of HIV Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis in Men Who Have Sex with Men: Risk Calculators for Real-World Decision-Making. PLOS One. 2014;9(10):e108742.
- Reddy A, Canamucio A, Werner RM. (2014). Impact of Patient-Centered Medical Home on Veteran Experiences of Care. American Journal of Managed Care.
- Liao JM, Thomas EJ, Bell SK. Speaking Up About the Dangers of The Hidden Curriculum. Health Affairs. 2014; 33(1)168-171.
- Marcotte L, Moriates C, Milstein A. Professional Organizations’ Role in Supporting Physicians to Improve Value in Health Care. JAMA. 2014; 312(3): 231-2.
- Liao JM, Co JT, Kachalia A. Providing Educational Content and Context for Training the Next Generation of Physicians in Quality Improvement. Acad Med. 2015; 90(19):1241-1245.
- Liao JM, Roy CL, Eibensteiner K, Nolido N, Schnipper JL, Dalal AK. Lost in Transition: Discrepancies in how Physicians Perceive the Actionability of the Results of Tests Pending at Discharge. J Hosp Med. 2014; 9(6):407-409.
- Marcotte L, Kirtane J, Lynn J, McKethan A. Integrating Health Information Technology to Achieve Seamless Care Transitions. Journal of Patient Safety. 2014.
- Liao JM, Williams ST, Etchegaray JE, Berger DH, Bell SK, Thomas ET. The Medical Student Safety Attitudes & Professionalism Survey (MSSAPS): Grading Patient Safety Progress Through Medical Student Experiences. Acad Med. 2014; 89 (2): 1-9.
- Liao JM, Wachter RM. Grading residents’ clinical performance: unique opportunities and challenges. J Gen Intern Med. 2014; 29(7):983-985.
- Couralet M, Leulu H, Capuano F, Marcotte L, Nitenberg G, Sicotte C, Minvielle E. Method for developing national quality indicators based on manual data extraction from medical records. BMJ Quality and Safety. 2013; 22(2): 155-62.
- Reilly J, Marcotte L, Burns J, Shea J. Handoff Communication Between Hospital and Outpatient Dialysis Units at Patient Discharge: A Qualitative Study. The Joint Commission Journal on Quality and Patient Safety. 2013; 39(2): 70-76.
- Marcotte L, Seidman S, Trudel K, Berwick D, Blumenthal D, Mostashari F, Jain S. Achieving Meaningful Use of Health Information Technology: A Guide for Physicians. Archives of Internal Medicine. 2012;172(9):731-736.
- Graham-Jones P, Jain S, Friedman C, Marcotte L, Blumenthal D. The Need To Incorporate Health Information Technology Into Physicians’ Education And Professional Development. Health Affairs. 2012; 31(3):481-7.
- Chen A, Pollack CE. Who Pays? Cost-sharing, tradeoffs and the physician’s role in decision making. J Gen Intern Med. 2012; 27(9):1097-1099.
- Liao JM. Patient Safety: An Educational Competency. Lancet. 2012; 379(9830):1933.
- Bindman A, Chen A, Fraser J, Ofman D, Yee H. Healthcare Reform with a Safety Net: Lessons from San Francisco. Am J Manag Care. 2009;15(10):747-50.
Follow VSSL on Twitter: @UW_VSSL